Saturday, September 19, 2015

On problem solving with preschoolers...

My class is EXCELLENT!! and wonderful and fabulous!! I am so so so lucky to have so many students whose parents have taught them manners and you can tell spend quality time with them!

It has been really fun getting to know some of my little peanut's personalities. I am working to build a classroom where the students feel safe and loved. I have some students that still feel sad from time to time and miss mom and dad, so I make sure to give them a little extra attention (they need some connection to feel safe). I have a few that act up a little to get my attention (they need connection from me too!!). I have a couple that get angry and frustrated easily (they need to feel safe). I have a few that have some anxiety about being in our new environment and around new kids (they need to feel safe, too). Using the conscious discipline approach I am trying to help all of my students problem solve, that means...

1. I simply notice them. I might say, "I can tell by your face that you feel sad, your mouth is down and you are crying." or "You are stomping your feet, you must be angry."

2. They need to state what they are feeling.  I prompt them to say it with me!

3. We take a deep breath together (sometimes I need that moment to figure out what to do next)!

4. Then we talk about how to solve the problem.
It might go like this...
"You were feeling angry because you didn't get the toy you wanted. You were jumping up and down and screaming. What you meant to say was I would like a turn, but you forgot to try that first. Lets try it now!"

Can you tell the difference? Before using a problem solving approach I might have said, "You need to calm down, Go sit in your chair."

crickets....

Yup that's it. I'd have left them to "think" about it on their own.

How many times do we think our kids can figure things out on their own and they simply can't!! I didn't talk them through it and they don't know how!! Children do not have the ability to think things through so we have to model to them how to do it.

This doesn't mean there are no consequences, but they need to be reasonable. If they can't control their body on the carpet I might have them move to a spot where they will be better able to listen. I don't take anything away, but the consequence is moving!

My goal is for the class to be able to learn self control and have tolerance of others... because, well, they will learn better and lead better lives!!



No comments: